Background. For the first time, on the example of the Lyutoga river (the southern part of Sakhalin island), the features of the ciliary community formed in areas where Pacific salmon die have been studied. The aim of the work is to study changes in the trophic and ecological structure of the community of infusoria of mountain-plain watercourses during the period when the dead pink salmon got into it.
Materials and methods. The material was collected in 2012 and 2018 in the lower reaches of the Lyutoga river. In places where salmon producers died (in shoalshallows), samples were taken into glass non-specialized containers by scooping water together with a layer of soil and the remains (parts of the skeleton) of salmon.
Results. During this period 36 species of infusoria belonging to the classes Heterotrichea, Oligomenophorea and Spirotricheawere found. In the samples Spirostomum ambigium, Paramecium caudatum, Urocentrum turbo, Aspidiscaturrita, Uronemamarinum, Stentor roeselii, Steiniaplatystoma, Frontonia leucas and Chilodonellauncinatus, which belong to the trophic groups of bacteriophages and euryphages, as well as to the periphyton-benthic ecological group were dominated. There was an increase of the saprobityinto the watercourse in the study period.
Conclusions. The trophic and ecological structures of the ciliary community were significantly simplified. The dominant species during this period can be considered specific to these environmental conditions. In river systems in the South of Sakhalin, it is possible to allocate an adaptive complex that develops on the death of Pacific salmon. The dominance of 9 of the above-mentioned species in the ecosystems of mountain-plain watercourses in the southern part of Sakhalin island may indicate the presence of increased organic pollution in them. In addition to fluctuations in abiotic factors, the change in the ciliate community in these watercourses is significantly affected by the seasonal influx of natural pollutants into them.
1. Informatsionnaya sistema «Dinamicheskie modeli v biologii» [Information System “Dynamic Models in Biology”]. Available at: http://www.dmb.biophys.msu.ru/registry? article=9812 [In Russian]
2. Burkovskiy I. V. Ekologiya svobodnozhivushchikh infuzoriy [Ecology of free-living ciliates]. Moscow: Izd-vo MGU, 1984, 208 p. [In Russian]
3. Nikitina L. I., Panov A. G. Voda: khimiya i ekologiya [Water: chemistry and ecology]. 2014, no. 2 (67), pp. 63–68. [In Russian]
4. Alekperov I. Kh. Svobodnozhivushchie infuzorii Azerbaydzhana (ekologiya, zoogeografiya, prakticheskoe znachenie) [Free-living ciliates of Azerbaijan (ecology, zoogeography, practical importance)]. Baku: El'm, 2012, 520 p. [In Russian]
5. Berger H., Foissner W. Handbuch Angewandte Limnologie [Handbook of Applied Limnology]. 2003, no. 10, 160 p.
6. Foissner W., Berger H. Freshwater Biology. 1996, vol. 35, pp. 375–482.
7. Curds C. Bull. Br. Mus. Nat. Hist. Zool. Ser. 1975, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 1–61.
8. Warren A. Bull. Br. Mus. Nat. Hist. Zool. Ser. 1986, vol. 50, no. 1, pp. 1–57.
9. Wu I., Curds C. Bull. Br. Mus. Nat. Hist. Zool. Ser. 1979, vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 1–34.
10. Chorik F. P. Svobodnozhivushchie infuzorii vodoemov Moldavii [Free-living ciliates of Moldavian water bodies]. Kishinev, 1968, 251 p. [In Russian]
11. Bykova S. A. Fauna i ekologiya infuzoriy malykh vodoemov Samarskoy Luki i Saratovskogo vodokhranilishcha: dis. kand. biol. nauk: 03.00.16 [The fauna and ecology of ciliates of small reservoirs of Samara Luka and the Saratov reservoir: dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of biological sciences: 03.00.16]. Tolyatti, 2005, 207 p. [In Russian]
12. Tribun M. M. Ekologicheskie osobennosti tsiliofauny malykh rek okrestnostey g. Khabarovska: dis. kand. biol. nauk: 03.02.08 [Ecological features of the ciliofauna of small rivers in the vicinity of Khabarovsk: dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of biological sciences: 03.02.08]. Khabarovsk, 2012, 154 p. [In Russian]
13. Nikitina L. I., Prikhod'ko A. V., Zhukov A. V., Tribun M. M. Tsiliofauna prirodnykh i tekhnogennykh ekosistem Srednego Priamur'ya: monografiya [Ciliofauna of natural and technogenic ecosystems of the Middle Amur Region: monograph]. Khabarovsk: Izd-vo DVGUPS, 2011, 160 p. [In Russian]
14. Foissner W. Hydrobiologia. 1988, vol. 166, pp. 1–64.
15. Mamaeva N. V. Infuzorii basseyna Volgi [Ciliates of the Volga basin]. Leningrad: Nauka, 1979, 179 p. [In Russian]
16. Zharikov V. V. Teoreticheskie problemy ekologii i evolyutsii (Tret'i Lyubishchevskie chteniya) [Theoretical problems of ecology and evolution (Third Lubischev Readings)]. Tolyatti: IEVB RAN, 2000, pp. 64–72. [In Russian]
17. Eggert M. B. Gidrobiologicheskiy zhurnal [Hydrobiological journal]. 1967, vol. 3, iss. 3, pp. 28–35. [In Russian]
18. Lavrent'ev P. Ya., Maslevtsov V. V. Izmenenie struktury ekosistem ozer v usloviyakh vozrastayushchey biogennoy nagruzki [Change in the structure of lake ecosystems under conditions of increasing nutrient load]. Leningrad: Nauka, 1988, pp. 207–221. [In Russian]
19. Myachina O. A. Fauna i biologo-ekologicheskie osobennosti resnichnykh infuzoriy nekotorykh vodoemov yuzhnoy lesostepi Omskoy oblasti: avtoref. dis. kand. biol. nauk: 03.02.04 [Fauna and biological and ecological features of ciliary infusoria of some water bodies in the southern forest-steppe of the Omsk region: author’s abstract of dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of biological sciences: 03.02.04]. Omsk, 2010, 18 p. [In Russian]
20. Shubernetskiy I. V. Krugoresnichnye infuzorii osnovnykh tipov vodoemov Moldavii: dis. kand. biol. nauk: 03.00.08 [Circumnar ciliates of the main types of water bodies in Moldova: dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of biological sciences: 03.00.08]. Kishinev, 1983, 279 p. [In Russian]